Tuesday 4 January 2011

The Training Plan

Working out a training plan for the marathon can be pretty tricky. For a start I have no experience of any of this, and so I am relying on other people's knowledge, which always makes me nervous. Then there is the fact that there seem to be an infinite number of different plans, and everyone has different ideas about how you should go about things.

I therefore decided to base the plan around the half marathon plan that I used last year. I will be doing speed work (intervals or fartleks) in the running club sessions on Mondays. I have therefore moved my long runs to Saturdays (social life permitting) so that I don't have two tough sessions in a row. I have also put in some tempo (pace) runs so that I can get used to running at my hoped-for marathon pace.

So this is what it looks like at the moment:



Obviously it is subject to change, and will have to be adapted a bit to fit around normal life.

In other news it is now pouring with rain, which is at least better than snow. My foot is a bit better having had some time off, but there is still a little pain there. I am going to try icing after running, and taking an ibuprofen after tough sessions to try and reduce the inflammation.

1 comment: