Tuesday 25 January 2011

Kit

One of the things often said about running is its low barriers to entry. All you need is a pair of trainers and off you go. This may well be the case, but there are a lot of other things out there that make running a lot more comfortable.

The first thing is you are female is a decent sports bra. It really is worth spending some money on the right one, and my new favourite is the Shock Absorber Run bra. It's specially designed for running, and doesn't move or rub (so far). I particularly like the padded straps.



Next up is outer layers tailored to the weather. In the winter I favour long running tights. Both pairs I have at the moment are Nike, but that is mostly because I got them in the sale. They are comfortable to run in, have a useful pocket just under the waistband at the back, and have zips at the ankles. My only problem with them is that when it is really cold (e.g. around Christmas) I needed cycling shorts underneath to keep my thighs warm enough.



I have a variety of tops and layer them depending on the weather. Usually this time of year I am wearing two layers, generally a short-sleeved top with a long-sleeved one over it. I particularly like this Gap top



and this one has a lovely fleecy lining, so it is very toasty.



Good socks are also important, and for long runs I like ones with a double layer, as they are very comfortable. When it is cold I also like to wear a headband that covers my ears, or if it really cold a hat, and gloves.


Best run: 12 miles along the river, from Hammersmith to Barnes, then to Wandsworth and back to Hammersmith. Pace felt good, it went past v quickly, and the last mile was speedy!


Worst run: 6 miles pace, to Wandsworth Bridge and back. A theme is developing here, with the pace runs being the worst. I guess this means I am working hard, which is the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment